Brother® HL-5140 Printer Review
The Brother HL-5140 printer is a monochrome laser printer, which is ideal for personal and office use as it delivers high quality output at a reasonable speed. This printer has a compact design and also offers expandable memory and network options. The printer provides a maximum monthly output of 20,000 pages with a recommended monthly print volume of 500 to 3,000 pages.
The Brother HL-5140 monochrome laser printer is embedded with a Fujitsu SPARClite processor that has a 133MHz processing speed. It comes with a standard memory of 16 MB RAM along with a DIMM slot is through which the memory can be upgraded to 144 MB. This printer delivers output documents at a speed of 21 pages per minute.
The image enhancement technology used in HL-5140 monochrome laser printer is Brother HQ1200, through which the printer is capable of delivering documents at a maximum resolution of 2400 dpi x 600 dpi. PCL6 language simulation is used in this printer and 49 scalable, 12 bitmapped and 11 barcode fonts are included. The standard input paper capacity of the printer is 250 which can be enhanced to 500 by adding an optional tray (LT-5000). The control panel of this printer comes along with four LED’s and two buttons. The LED’s designate the toner, drum, and paper status of the printer and the two buttons are for stopping and restarting the print jobs. The accessories for this printer include: TN540 Standard Yield Toner Cartridge which delivers up to 3,500 Pages and a DR510 Drum Unit that delivers 20,000 pages.
- FIVE –Â Convenient Paper HandlingA 250-sheet input tray and a single-sheet manual by-pass tray are provided with this printer which enables the HL-5140 to efficiently handle letterhead and envelopes of various sizes. If you want to increase the output capacity, then the printer also provides an option to add a 250-sheet paper tray. An auto loading media feeder is also provided with this printer.
- FOUR –Â Media HandlingThe Brother HL 5140 supports various media types such as labels, envelopes, bond paper, plain paper, recycled paper and transparencies. The printer also support various media sizes which include letter, legal, executive, A4, A5, A6, B5 and B6. The maximum custom size supported is 8.5in x 14in. It supports a media weight between 60 g/m2 and 161 g/m2. A substitute media feed tray is provided in the front panel through which envelopes, heavy bond paper, can be placed easily without bending.
- THREE –Â Required Operating Systems and SoftwareThe Operating Systems supported by this printer are Linux, Microsoft Windows XP, Apple Mac OS 8.6 to 9.2, Microsoft Windows 95/98 , Apple Mac OS X 10.1 or later, Microsoft Windows 2000/NT4.0 and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition. The driver softwares and utility softwares are included in this printer.
- TWO –Â ConnectivityThe Brother HL-5140 monochrome laser printer provides good optional networking features. Networking alternatives used in the Brother HL-5140 printer are; the Brother NC-2100p 10/100 BaseT external Ethernet print server and the NC-2200w 802.11b wireless print server. The protocols supported for optional 10/100BASE-TX (NC-2100p) are TCP/IP and NetBEUI. The standard interfaces provided in this printer are one Hi-Speed 4 pin USB Type B and one Parallel IEEE 1284 (EPP/ECP) 36 pin Centronics port.
- ONE – Â DesignThe Brother HL-5140 laser printer is a plain, square-shaped laser printer that occupies very little desk space. The dimension of the printer are 15 x 15 x 10 inches, (WDH) and it weighs around 23 pounds which makes the printer ideal for congested office area without losing much spaces.
This printer offers low power consumption and it comes with standard warranty. It is an affordable monochrome laser printer for your small business or home.