Print on any printer from your iPad®
As we all know, AirPrint is a component with which we can print on-the-go from any of our iDevices including iPad, iPhone, etc. It comes integrated with iOS 4.2 and higher versions. It does not require printer-specific drivers to work with. Of course, AirPrint works, without any hassles what-so-ever, with printers compatible with it (HP ePrint range of printers, Canon printers released after September 2011, etc.). However, not all of us have an HP printer or for that matter a recently launched Canon printer. What exactly is a solution to this? This particular piece of work provides the answer to this very query.
AirPrint Activator has the answer
AirPrint Activator is a small application that allows the shared and incompatible printer to be visible to the iOS (iOS 4.2 or higher) running on your iPad. This application channels incoming data through your Mac or PC to the connected printer. In this case, your Mac or PC acts as an intermediate server. To download the latest version of AirPrint Activator for Mac, click here. Even if you have a Windows OS running on the PC, AirPrint Activator can run equally fine with that as well. Download AirPrint Activator for Windows here.
How to Activate AirPrint on a Mac
If you have a Mac at your home or at your workplace, follow the steps given underneath to activate AirPrint:
- From the ‘Apple’ menu at the upper left corner of the screen, click ‘System Preferences’
- In ‘System Preferences’, click ‘Sharing’
- Select the checkbox next to ‘Printer Sharing’. A list of installed printers appears on the right.
- Select the box besides the printer you want to use with your iPad.
- Run the AirPrint Activator for Mac installer you’ve downloaded.
- Click the ‘OFF/ON’ slider to switch it on and then click ‘Close’.
How to Activate AirPrint in Windows
If you have Windows as the OS on your PC, follow the inline steps to activate AirPrint:
- Download and install AirPrint Activator for Windows.
- Open ‘Control Panel’.
- Type ‘Firewall’ in the ‘Search’ box to find it.
- Click the ‘Authorize New Applications’ button.
- In the textbox provided enter this path ’C:\Program Files\AirPrint\airprint.exe’ to give it network access.
- Open ‘Devices and Printers’ in ‘Control Panel’.
- Select the printer you wish to share over the network to make it work with your iPad.
Although more and more printers from various manufacturers worldwide are now coming with AirPrint compatible label, industry fitted, it is worthwhile to follow these steps in case you want to print with your iPad and your printer is not supporting it.
Image by Michael_Reuter