Connect Printer To D-Link® Router
Do you have a D-Link router at your home or workplace and are looking for easy steps that you can follow to connect a printer to it? Well, here you will find the answers for sure… We have also compiled for you handy tips on troubleshooting errors that you may face while establishing the connection! Are you ready to know them all?
Before you start the connection process, it is important to understand how a printer connected to a router would benefit you. Well, for the uninitiated, this connection can be extremely useful if you have more than one PC at your home or workplace and you wouldn’t like investing in separate printers for the different PCs. By having the printer connected to a router, you can comfortably share the printer among different PCs and reduce the cost, consume lesser space (you will only have one device to place), and work flexibly too.
How to install a printer for use over a network?
The foremost step in connecting a printer to your D-Link router involves installing the printer first on the computers that are on the network. You can create a wireless network for its ease of use and flexibility. Install the printer and its appropriate drivers on all the computers and then start the connection process by following the steps mentioned below. The easy steps to install require you to:
- Switch ‘Off’ the printer and connect it to the PC via a USB cable
- Switch it ‘On’
- Windows will automatically detect that a new hardware is connected and will start adding the New Hardware Wizard
- Download the correct printer driver from the manufacturer’s website
- Once the download is over, ‘Install’ from its specific location or from the list in the Found New Hardware wizard
- In the option called ‘Include this location’, look for the previously downloaded driver from the website
- Choose the printer model from the options given and click on the ‘Next’ option to finish
How to connect a printer to your D-Link router?
Now you can start the connection process; to establish the connection, you will require:
- A USB cable
- A printer with a USB port
- A D-Link wireless router with USB port
- Plug the D-Link router to a power switch
- Switch it ‘On’ and create a network
- Connect the printer to the USB port on the D-Link router by using the USB cable
- Turn ‘On’ the printer
- Access a PC (connected to the wireless network) and open the Control Panel in the Start menu
- Go to the ‘Printers and Faxes’ option
- Click on the ‘Add Printer’ option and select ‘Network Printer’
- Click on ‘Next’ and wait for the list of printers on the network to display
- Select the printer with D-Link in the name and click the ‘Next’ option
- Complete the process by clicking on the ‘Next’ option and install the network printer
Wasn’t it simple adding your printer to a D-Link router? Now you can start your printing tasks instantly and carry on.
Tips and troubleshoots for routers
This isn’t specific to a D-Link router; you can troubleshoot errors in most routers across different brands. In the event of a connection error or when your printing tasks aren’t getting done using the D-Link router, you can try to resolve the issue using the following fixes:
- Make sure that the latest software updates for the router are installed; this will cover all patches and loopholes in the previous version.
- In case, the connections are not proper or are not configured properly, trouble may arise. Before you start worrying or visit a local technician, check that all the connections are duly established.
- Third party software such as a firewalls or antivirus applications may interfere with an improperly configured router; to fix it, disable the security program temporarily and check if the connection is now working fine.
- Check the configuration as per the installed OS.
Keep the above tips handy when you are attempting to troubleshoot a router-printer connection issue. If the above mentioned points also fail to help you, you can contact iYogi tech experts by contacting us on our toll free number. Our technicians are trained to troubleshoot almost all connection issues that may arise between your D-Link router and printer. Do not hesitate to call us as per your convenience…