How to install printer drivers without a driver CD on your PC?
It is very easy to install a printer on Windows 7 or Windows 8 or any other latest operating system without the installation disk. If the installation CD that came with your printer is now corrupt or damaged and you aren’t able install the relevant drivers, here’re the steps that you could follow to come out of this problem.
There are three ways to install a printer:
- Plug the printer in your computer through the USB and power it . The operating system will detect the new hardware and install the drivers automatically.
- If it does not happen, make sure you have an active Internet connection. Your OS will search for the required driver from the OEM and install automatically.
- If the printer does not get recognized, you would need to download the drivers from the OEM’s website to install the printer.
If your OS does not detect the printer and the drivers don’t start installing, you would need to search for the printer manually.
- For Windows users, open the ‘Control Panel’ and go to “Device and printers”. Look for “Add a printer” and then click on it. Now, select your printer from the list to start the installation process.
- In case you are a MAC user, go to the Apple menu and select “System preferences”. Further select “Print and Fax” and click the “+” button at the bottom of the printer list to expand it. Now, select the new printer from the list to start the installation process.
Download printer specific drivers
With the help of operating system drivers, your printer will work at a basic level only. To use advanced functionality, you will need to download and install the printer specific drivers from the OEM’s website. To do so;
- Make a note of the printers make and model to identify the correct driver from the OEM’s website.
- Go to the support section of your manufacturer’s website and search for your printer model.
- Download the correct set of drivers for your operating system. Make sure you choose the correct operating system platform (x86/x64). If there are additional drivers such as scanners for all-in-one printers, download and install them.
If your computer doesn’t have an active connection, download the drivers from another computer with Internet into an USB drive and then install the drivers manually to your own computer.
Restart your computer and configure the printer on your PC. This will probably solve your problem. If you are still not able to use the printer on your PC, avail of tech support services from iYogi. iYogi tech experts have thorough knowledge of computers, installed peripherals and related software. They can fix your problem using remote connection or over a phone call; they are available 24x7 to resolve your tech issues.