Windows® 7 Printer Offline
Windows 7 is one of the most promising Windows OS versions released by Microsoft that lets you easily connect a printer to it to complete your printing tasks instantly. However, sometimes you may notice that the printer installed in this OS displays the message that it is in the Offline mode and will refuse to process any printing command. This can sure be a frustrating experience for you and may prompt you to start looking for help to fix the issue. Irrespective of the printer that you are using, you can easily troubleshoot the error by following the below mentioned resolution steps. So, here you go…
Ways to fix the Windows 7 Printer Offline issue
To fix this issue by manually setting changing the printer status you will have to:
- Go to the Start menu and then access the ‘Devices and Printers’ option
- Scroll down to the particular printer in the network that you want to troubleshoot the Offline issue in
- Right-click on the printer and click on the ‘See what’s printing’ option
- In the pop-up window that will open, click on the Printer tab
- Uncheck the ‘Use Printer Offline‘ option
- This will set the printer in the Online mode and you can now start your printing tasks
If this fails to resolve the issue and your connected printer is still shown as being in the Offline mode, here are the other fixes that you can try out…
- Check that the printer is turned ‘On’.
- Check your wired printer connection. Faulty cables connecting the printer and the PC can also result in the display of the error message “Printer is Offline”.
- If you are using a wired printer, make sure that the port to which the device is attached is working fine. Try to change the port to find this out; in case the error is with the particular port, changing it should resolve the issue.
- Restart the print spooler to refresh the printer and the printing tasks.
- If you are using a wireless printer, ensure that the wireless connection is working fine. ‘Restart’ the printer to get rid of this issue.
- If you have updated the wireless network settings lately and forgot to update the same on the printer, you may face the Windows 7 printer offline issue. Update the network settings and restart the printing tasks yet again.
- If none of the above works out, you may consider uninstalling the printer from the network and re-installing it. This is especially handy because this action establishes the entire connection from the start and all technical glitches naturally get resolved.
Understanding the Offline mode in a Windows 7 printer
Now that you have fixed the Windows 7 printer offline issue, it is worth understanding the causes that lead this issue to occur. Irrespective of whether you have a direct or a network printer, you may face this error while getting your printing tasks done if:
- You accidentally pressed the Offline mode button present in the printer
- You set the Offline mode by mistake
- The printer connection wasn’t properly done
- There is a faulty cable connecting the printer and the network (if the printer is wired)
- The wireless settings in the network was changed but not updated in the printer
Keep the tips mentioned in the article handy to troubleshoot this issue, if at all you face it again. If you aren’t comfortable doing the fixes yourself, you can call iYogi tech experts on our toll free number and let them handle the task for you effectively and in no time. We are available 365 days of the year…