Office Printers Affected by Trojan.Milicenso Malware
The research team of one of the largest security solutions providing companies Symantec Corporation has detected a malware named Trojan.Milicenso that is affecting the functioning of printers connected to Windows-based computers worldwide and is causing the automatic printing of pages full of garbled data.
How the malware Trojan.Milicenso attacks printers?
The malware Trojan.Milicenso was first noticed in year 2010. Since then the malware has been adapted many times to cause different outcomes. The most recent outcome is the infection of office printers. The malware attacks the printers in many forms. In many cases the computers are infected first and then the infection is transmitted to printers through e-mail attachments. Opening websites hosting malicious scripts is also believed to be the cause of spreading this infectious malware. “The latter often unintentionally occurs when a user clicks on a link in an unsolicited email,” Symantec posted on its blog.
How Trojan.Milicenso can be removed manually
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore.
2. Update the virus definition of the antivirus program installed on your computer.
3. Restart Windows in Safe Mode.
4. Run a full system scan in Safe Mode and clean/delete all infected files. If clean/delete is not possible, put the infected file into quarantine.
5. Reboot the computer and run another scan after Windows boots normally to make sure that Trojan.Milicenso is not there in your PC.